1/20/2008

How's work with the prompt?

I finally sat down in earnest last night to start responding to the prompt from last week's meeting, about the girl with the cigarettes. I had been wanting to work with a particular set of characters for a few weeks now, and this was my chance! So I started writing. The first scene presented itself to me fully formed, and I dutifully recorded it. But the next scenes -- not so much. I'm having trouble deciding what exactly this story is about, and so I can't be economical with my language just yet. The story is running in circles. I don't know what kind of progress to expect for my main character, and it's frustrating me. He's frustrating me. I can sense him wanting a bigger role, a more richly detailed humanity, a set of needs and expectations and disappointments all his own. If I keep working at it, I hope all this will come to him.

What kinds of problems are you encountering, as you sit down to give this prompt a serious look?

No comments: